Feb. 2, 2023

Domestic Violence

Domestic violence is abuse committed against an adult or a minor who is a:

  • Spouse
  • Former Spouse
  • Cohabitant
  • Former Cohabitant
  • Person with whom the suspect has had a child
  • Person with whom the suspect is having or has had a dating or engagement relationship

Warning: People can tell what Internet sites you’ve visited on your computer.  Be Safe!  Use the Internet at a local library, a friend’s house, or at work.

                      If you are in immediate danger, call 911.


What is "abuse"?

“Abuse” means to hit, kick, hurt, scare, throw things, pull hair, push, follow, harass, sexually assault, or to threaten to do any of these things. Abuse can be spoken, written, or physical.

What is a "restraining order"?

It is a court order that helps protect people from abuse.

How will the restraining order help me?

It can order the restrained person to:

  • Not contact or go near you, your children, other relatives, or others who live with you
  • Not have a gun
  • Move out of your house
  • Follow child custody and visitation orders
  • Pay child support
What happens if a restraining order is violated?

If a restraining order is violated, a law-enforcement officer is able to make an arrest, even if no abuse takes place at that time.

How can I get a domestic violence restraining order?

In an emergency situation, a law-enforcement officer can request the judge to sign an emergency restraining order, even if the court is closed.

During the court’s business hours, you can request a restraining order by filling out the appropriate paperwork. For more information about the needed paperwork, please see the California Online Self Help Center’s Protection website.

For assistance in filling out the paperwork for a domestic violence restraining order, you may contact Yuba County Victim-Witness or Casa De Esperanza.

What are the Court fees to get a restraining order?

There are no fees for a Domestic Violence restraining order. For all other types of restraining orders, please see our fee schedule.

How can I get a non-domestic-violence restraining order?

Please see the California Online Self-Help Center or more information.

Contact Information

Family Law Division
Yuba County Superior Court
215 Fifth Avenue, Suite 200
Marysville, CA 95901
Ph: (530) 740-1800
Fax: (530) 740-1821

Office Hours
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Monday -Friday

Division Manager: Beth Barnes

Quick Links

© 2023 Superior Court of California - County of Yuba